He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Living with an elephant in the room...

So I guess this is "living with cancer". Craig is really normally. corny jokes. watches sports all the time (UK vs. UT - what the heck was that?!). quotes movies. plays with the girls. makes lunches. brushes their teeth in the morning (good thing b/c I forget when it is not a school day) eats normally (just smaller portions). all is very normal.

We went out last night and did our normal try-to-get-as-many-Christmas-presents-as-possible-while-we-have-two-sitters night. He lasted longer than I did shopping, although wasn't too happy to spend too much time in Macy's. normal.
Tonight we was lasagna Thanksgiving at my mom's house since we don't make it to NKY for the holidays any more. All very normal it seems....

except it is not. He has cancer. It is the big ugly elephant in every room. Some rooms ask about the elephant, some rooms ignore the elephant. It is still there.
Thursday morning I got so far ahead of myself again. I guess the holidays will get that way but overall this weekend has been normal.
We do have so much to be thankful for. There are people living with cancer that will tell you it has really put things in perspective. I don't want to toot my own horn but I was thankful for my life before cancer. Cancer hasn't shed a light on how good it was before. I knew it. Although I took good health of my family for granted I still knew that I was the lucky one. I guess I wouldn't use the word lucky now but blessed. I think those are completely to different things. People use the word blessed interchangeable. I don't feel lucky, my husband a ugly pancreas but I do feel blessed with an amazing family and an incredible God that will get us through whatever lies ahead.

Anyway. I am thankful for a great thanksgiving weekend that turned around in the right direction after a rough Thursday morning. Church tomorrow. I was going to do a family picture but I didn't get it together in time so I guess we will have to do it in two weeks. I don't think that I am going to do Christmas cards this year. I got them out (I buy them after Christmas the year before and pack them away for the next year they are soo cheap the week after Christmas. I can't believe I spilled the beans on that little secret.) but I just don't feel like starting another project right now. So I think we will just post our Christmas card on here. Sorry, I hate that and it goes with everything that I hate about the internet and blogs but I just don't have the patience for Christmas card right now.

Have a good last day of Thanksgiving weekend.

1 comment:

Carla said...

Happy Thanksgiving Merimees!
With love from,
The Ostarchvics
PS - Don't feel bad about the Christmas cards. I'd say you have your hands pretty full right now!!!!