He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Monday, December 19, 2011

Everyday is a blessing

I love blogging but it always takes a lot of me...and I don't have all the energy in the world.  I'd like to blog every evening and keep you updated on things.  Once I get 3 days behind, then I'm just overwhelmed by having too much to tell you and it really makes blogging seem like a bid undertaking.  The truth is everyday is a blessing and I cherish pretty much anything I get to do.  On Saturday, our family went to Christmas Kaleidoscope light show downtown at the Galt House.  Is this really big news?  Would a big smile appear on my face if I read on Facebook that one of my friends took their kids to see some Christmas lights?  It is actually big news in my eyes.  I was tired before we got in the car and Michelle gave me "I can do it, you don't have to go."  I didn't want to miss that time though.  No matter the days events, I love to lay my head down at night and say today was a good day.  It was a normal day by any account.  Time is very precious.  A day spent with the family is heaven on Earth.  I've been doing good these last 2 weeks.  I still take a few naps each day but I revolve my naps around that precious time and the precious event of the day we have scheduled.  I feel like there's so much to get you caught up on.  I don't have tons of enerngy right now but here's a few short excerpts:
We met my Hospice nurse last Friday morning.  She was very nice with a lot of experience in hospice care.  She's going to be lots of help over the next steps.  She'll basically see me in my home on a weekly basis and help me combat any symptoms of discomfort I have.  Hopefully we'll get to form a long relationship with her.  I'm happy and content with my day to day life these days and I hope this continues.  I'm enjoying life right now, especially being off chemo treatments.  My nurse is definitely vested with me and this situation.  Her warning to me was she was going to do her best at being more of a nurse than trying to be a motherly figure to me.  She has a son close to my age with kids and she mentioned at how much this situation hits close to home for us.  She is a real person and I truly feel she will truly be there for us.
Michelle had the big talk with my girls on Saturday.  There's too much to cover here so I'm hoping she'll try and fill you in when she has the time.  In summary, it went well but it's weird.  They know I'm sick but are convinced, we think, that I can be better served in heaven, where I'm not always sick.  I'm so glad my kids have been brought up knowing of Jesus.  They love Him and in a toddler way, trust in Him.
Sunday was week 3 of going to church with many friends.  It's hard to see of all of my friends who want to see me so we started a trend of, if you want to see me, go to church with us on Sunday and lunch afterwards.  It has worked out and we love doing that.  I love sharing my faith and it's good to see my friends.
Monday morning (today), I ended up going to the meeting that my new friend Jason Chambers set up with Mitch McConnell's office.  The two of us met with Terry McCarmack who is the state director for Mitch McConnell's office.  We are trying to gain support for the proposed legislation called the Pancreatic Cancer Research and Education Act.  The bill will force the National Cancer Institute to put together a strategic plan to fight pancreatic cancer among a few other things.  We currently have the support from 42 senators but neither of our KY senators have pledged being a cosponsor.  Today did some good and I pray Mitch can get behind it.  The initial response is it's not Mitch's philosophy to pick and choose which cancer he wants to put more support into.  On the eye level, this is not an unfair response but we left the understanding that this cancer have not been giving the "fair" awareness.  It is the 4th leading cause of cancer death in the US with 36,000+ deaths this year yet it receives 2% of the funding budget and there has not been any progress in 40 years.  The cancer has been largely ignored and every other large cancer has seen great strides.  I basically told him that 36,000+ Americans are not giving any hope, they are being told to pack up your stuff and get things in order.  There's lots of hope in cancer these days, except for PC.  I think we hit home with our closing and Mr. Carmack did say he would bring our attention and argument to Mitch.  This was AT LEAST what we could ask for.  We could have been completely been blown off and had our efforts been basically go ignored.  Next, I can just hope and pray that it is brought to Mitch's attention and the argument can be placed.  Thanks for the many of you that have called and also written letters.  Being part of the governmental process is definitely new to me but it feels good that a half way normal person like myself can raise an argument and have it heard. 
I'm done for the evening, I've been on here for over an hour.  I don't really feel like spell checking tonight so hopefully my thoughts will come out making sense.
As always, thanks for the support and prayers out there!  God is good!

3 comments:

Rick Blair said...

Craig,
Christmas lights and children can never be boring. You see the lights brighter in their eyes. Glad to hear the the Hospice nurse will be a good nurse for you.

I hope Mitch does step up to the plate. Politicians can be fickled by the winds of the day, but there is no reason for himto back away from this issue.

Prayers keep coming for all of you. Church and lunch; sounds a lot like our friends at St. Lawrence. God is good.

God Bless

C Harper said...

Hey there Craig....The Relay For Life team spoke at Rotary and Heather gave everyone an update and handed out info about your blog and the info to make the call to Mitch's office about the bill. I hope that you are soaking up all the glorious time with your wife and kids. Always thinking about you as we try and get the word out about Relay. I'll continue to get the word about pancreatic cancer even if you get the DC two-step! Smile and know that we got your back my man!

C Harper

C Harper said...

By the way....you've been working with an angel in your branch for the time Heather's been out here with you. She's not going to let anyone off the hook when it comes to helping the fight! What a great young lady!