He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Sunday, February 20, 2011

My Dad

It's been about 3 1/2 years since my dad passed away but I think of him a lot and I feel he deserves a post.  My relationship was extremely close to him.  He passed when he was 58 and about the last 10 years of his life were spent trying to recover from a stroke that he never fully recovered from.  He got worn down by life and became fraile and very skinny.  He had an unhealthy heart that lasted way longer than probably anyone thought.  He was actually born with a hole in his heart.  When he was in high school, he had open heart surgery and was told he'd probably not live past 20 years of age.  I bring all this up about my dad for a couple of reasons.  One is the one that gives me hope, that he made it to 58 when he wasn't supposed to go past 20.  Totally different problems but none of us no when our expiration date is actually going to be and that gives me hope.  Another reason I bring this up about my dad is every time I look in the mirror, I see him.  I look a lot like him and unfortunately I'm pretty fraile just like he became.  I loved my dad as much as anyone in the world and its good that I think of him all the time.  However, he'd be crushed to see the resemblance we have in each other right now.  I'm crushed about the resemblance in the sense it just means I'm a little beat up.  I know one day we'll get to reunite and that can seem exciting but he's thinking the same thing I am right now.  Hold onto dear life and fight for my family.  I talked to him tonight while I was doing one of the most peaceful things in the world which is rocking a little baby girl while she fell asleep in my arms.  I told him I look forward to seeing him but I've got more important things to do right now.  Anyhow, this post is a little overdue for me but it's an important one to me.
On the homefront, we are doing well.  I recovered probably quicker than I ever have.  Last Friday I got to spend much of the day outside and played with the girls that majority of the afternoon.  It was warm enough for me to be outside which was a true blessing.  The sun was out half of the day and that was a true blessing.  Most importantly, I truly cherished watching the girls play with big smiles on their faces.  I got to push the girls on the swings and I lasted about 15 minutes which is actually a pretty good workout when you've got two of them going.  I still had to take my 2 hour rest but the rest of the day seemed like an eternity.  This weekend is Morgan's first birthday weekend.  Her 4th birthday is Tuesday so we celebrated some this weekend and we'll celebrate some more next weekend.  She got her Dora bike from mom and dad which is what she had been asking for.  Her Uncle Brad come in town from Chicago and got to spend some quality time with the girls and us.  Mimi and Gram got to visit with us while we did a birthday dinner for her on Saturday.  Morgan enjoyed her weekend and is pumped it's not even her birthday yet.
I'm looking forward to having a whole good week ahead of me this week and hopefully all will go well.  I've got a CT scan next Monday the 28th before my next treatment which I'm looking forward to.  We have room to be optimistic going into it but we'll have to wait and see.  God is doing amazing things in my life right now.  If any guys in the area are interested, I'm heading to SECC's Oldham County kickoff for forming Men's groups next Saturday the 26th.  If any of you guys out here are interested in checking it out with me, let me know, I'd love to check it out with you.  I'm looking forward to the meeting and look forward to further deepening my relationship.

4 comments:

Mel O'Drama said...

So glad you are doing well. This story of your dad really touched me and made me a cry a little! You are in my thoughts nearly every day and I'm glad you are enjoying life as much as possible.

-Melissa Allgeier

Jenny graff said...

Wow, Craig. Very moving post about your dad. I shed a tear myself. He would be proud to see what a fighter you are! Happy birthday weekend to Morgan. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the sunshine this past weekend; hope the vitamin d helped you feel good. Thinking of you.

Rick Blair said...

Craig,

I lost my dad in the Fall of 1994. You and the team came to the funeral home. Our friends and relatives were very impressed by you guys. Later that Fall I dedicated my small part of the championship to him. You, Greg, and I are standing next to each other in the photo that night.

Dads are very special to a son. We would share jokes that we heard with each other. At times I will hear something funny and actually take a step to the telephone to call my dad. Your dad and I are the same age. Never stop sharing your life with him. We both have saints in heaven with our dads.

As always, my prayers are with you.

Greg said...

Craig,
I have some great memories with your family, specifically you and your dad. After reading this post I had to dig up this pic I had put on Facebook. No idea why my dad took a pic of you and your family but it is exactly as I remember your dad

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=250558&id=502565050#!/photo.php?fbid=165348375050&set=a.165347490050.250558.502565050&theater

I am glad you are still fighting and that Don is cheering you on.

Cheers to Don and all the great memories and lessons he taught us!!

Keep up the fight!!!
Greg Forst