He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thee appointment

To follow up on yesterday's post, today was another harsh day; might qualify as thee day.  I went in this morning and had a CT scan done to see what was really going.  The huge jump in my tumor marker caused some worry.  Michelle and I met with Dr. Hamm this afternoon around 2 at his office downtown at Norton.  He didn't have my scan results back yet when he came into the office but it was because the scan was only done a few hours earlier and it takes sometime to get those back.  We discussed treatment plans and talked about the Vandy experience for a little back.  He then went back and checked and had the scan results back in hand.  The results were every spot and tumor I had has grown in a significant manner.  There were an estimated 20 something spots in my liver (though some may not have been cancerous).  That's a lot.  It was compared to my last scan at Norton which was September which was about 2 months ago.  The underlying result: it's growing and it's growing pretty fast.  All cancers are different and one notable characteristic is that when PC is growing, it's pretty bull-headed.  There are countless stories of people being diagnosed and not making it a week.  It typically doesn't stop to ask for directions.  I then went ahead and asked the tough questions:
What is the chance of this treatment working and what should I expect?
Basically, while there is a chance things could stop growing and actually shrink, a more realistic hope is that it will slow the growth down.
Is this really my last treatment option because I've tried most things?
If my weekly treatment does work to a degree, I can add the abraxine maybe in a month.  I mentioned this drug in my last post and that drug can maybe even more help slow things down.  But basically, trying anything else, wouldn't be too smart because you are making yourself miserable in your last days.
If I don't do a treatment, what are we looking at?
"You don't have much time." We discussed this a little more because they underlying question unasked was, what really are the chances this next treatment is not going to work based on how aggressive this cancer has become?  I know the answer...higher than it actually working.  I've learned so much about PC, it is relentless.  We aren't close to figuring it out in general.  I am still optimistic this treatment may put up a fight and buy me time and I will fight that fight.  There is so much riding on this first treatment which will be next Monday morning.  If I'm getting sick, it will mean my cancer is pretty mad.  It was very mad at me this past weekend, hopefully it will lie down and rest this next go around.  A lot is going to be determined very soon.
I also have that not so good feeling.  My digestion is horrible right now and I could only eat about 1/4 of my dinner tonight.  Was it a bad day or is it because my digestive system is shutting down?  My pain has progressively got worse over the past month.  I'm in urgency mode right now.  I want a great Christmas with my family.  I'll take the prayers right now but mine are focused on Michelle.  I've told her I have all the faith in her to make it through this.  What she's got faced in front of her is a mountain but I strongly feel if anyone can do it, she can do it.  Please pray for her.  For strength, for confidence.  3 girls are a lot but those 3 girls are remarkable.  They rally around her when they sense I'm down.  I could go on and on but right now, I just want to comfort her so I'm signing off for the night.  Have a happy thanksgiving if you don't hear from us tomorrow.  I still have a lot to be thankful for so I'm going to try and enjoy the day.

6 comments:

Jane said...

Craig,
My heart is cracked in half reading your post, but my soul finds peace in your words. Your deep love and commitment to your family in the midst of your struggle is simply a beautiful testimony. Prayers are being said continually for Michelle and for your 3 girls, as well as for you.

Your transparency and faith as you walk this road are such an encouragement. And can I tell you something? Knowing you are heading to the glories of Heaven takes the sting out of the pain of loss somehow. Watching a loved one suffer the torture of this cancer is horrible. I know... we've watched my mom waste away before our eyes, she struggles so with the pain, fatigue and nausea too. I know it is nothing compared to the agony you are going through, but I just wanted to reassure you that the confidence of your faith is such an encouragement to us. Yes, your family will face dark days without you here, but you are leaving them a Light to follow. At some point, they will meet you again, in faith. That will be Joy for the ages.

Praying for peace that can only come from Above, for strength for the days ahead and for sweet blessings of grace to soften the heartache. Jane

Anita Reh said...

Craig and Michelle,
I don't know what words to say to ease your pain. Know that you continue to be in my prayers. God bless you.
Anita

Anonymous said...

I am at a loss for words. This post breaks my heart. Craig your right, you do have 4 amazing ladies who will continue to be a light through all of this and when some days are harder then others there are lots of people who love you all and will be a support. You have made me think a lot about my own faith and purpose. Watching your amazing faith in all of this has had a huge impact on me. Thank you for your continued openness and testimony. - Liz Dant

Anonymous said...

The strength and clarity of the love in your family throughout your tribulations is truly heart-melting. I wish you peace, joy and comfort this Thanksgiving holiday and always!

Mary Beth

Anonymous said...

Craig and Michelle,

I am crying my eyes out as I read this post. Your strength, faith and will to continue to fight are so amazing. I wish so much that I could fly to KY and be there with you right now. Though I may not be there I want you to know that I am constantly thinking and praying for all of you. We definitely don't always understand the reasons for why things happen to us, but I know one thing that if anyone doesn't know God prior to reading about your life on here there is no way that they wouldn't be at least curious to find out more! What a testimony:) I love all of you so much!

Anonymous said...

Craig and Michelle,

I read this post with such a heavy heart. Both of you all have strength that is such an inspiration. We always have prayers for Michelle, your children, and for you Craig as well.

Krissie Nehil White