He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Following Up

Starting to get the emails and the questions so I guess I need to follow up on what's been going on with me lately since I never posted after the last treatment last week.  Last week was the same as the first 2 treatments at Vandy.  I handled the chemo session well, walked away feeling a little icky but it was a huge breath of fresh air compared the days in the past.  The following day started out fine again but my stomach turns sour usually in the middle of Friday and it is very uncomfortable.  It's nothing pain medication can control.  It hurts to get up or stand up and it doesn't hurt as much when I lay down but it's still very uncomfortable.  It lasts through about 2 more days with some relief off and on over the weekend.  Truth be told, I can handle it.  It's still a lot easier than the past treatments.  I at least have my mind in the game where I can talk and watch tv and spend time with the family.  Michelle and I were guests of our friends Chris and Janelle last Friday night and I ended up laying on their couch for the evening and fell asleep.  Wasn't my proudest moment but they are good friends and understand.  Each day after the treatment is just a roller coaster.  As far as the treatment goes, this is my 4th week which means...NO CHEMO.  I live for these weeks.  I feel half way normal.  I'm still having the pains and taking pain medication around the clock.  I'm OK with that even thought its frustrating I still have pain and I'm taking 2 different pain meds on their regular schedules.  You always envision being in that la-la land when on those meds but I don't get that, unfortunately.  Anyways, I'm off treatment this week.  It worked out I'm actually off work tomorrow for Veteran's Day.  Thanks Veteran friends (for your service first and foremost)!  Is the treatment working or when will I know is the most common question I'm getting.  We don't know if it's working.  We'll do treatments the next 3 weeks consecutively and then December 15th, I'll have a CT scan and we'll pull a tumor marker that will tell us the verdict.  If it's working or things haven't changed much, I'll continue on the treatment for another 2 months.  I hope it's working obviously.  I will say the treatment, if working, should start alleviating this pain.  It's not alleviating the pain but I also need to be patient.  That's the story for now.
My presentation to Oldham County Fiscal Court for the Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month Proclamation went very good.  The presentation is shown on the government channel here in Oldham County over and over and a few have got to see me on tv.  I'll give myself a B, I said um a few too many times which I um didn't realize when I was given the um presentation.  Michelle said that would have made a good drinking game back in college.  It was and is great awareness which was my goal of doing the presentation.  I reached out to the Oldham Era newspaper and they happily reached back out to me to do an interview on a possible story.  We'll see what that leads too but I'm all about spreading awareness and hopefully using my story for good.  I'll let you know what this leads to.  It was an emotional interview.  I've shared a lot about the disease with many people and am well versed and knowledgeable on the subject but as soon as the questions change gears and the words kids or family are mentioned, I break down...just like the flip of a switch.
Chicago, one of my favorite places, is turning their skyline purple for the month of November for PC Awareness Month.  I haven't got to see a picture yet but I hope to find one soon.  I love the Chicago skyline as it is.  It's a little sentimental for me.
Um, I guess that's all I've got for right now.  That's all the stuff on the surface.  What's below the surface?  That might be another post.  I love my wife, I know that.

2 comments:

Rick Blair said...

Craig,

I hope the week is a comfortable one for you without the trip to Vandy, which is one of my favorite places and will be even more dear to me if these sessions help you. I will be in Chicago soon for a day and will check the skyline for you. It is one of my favorite places also.

Thanks for the update and I love you last line! You're one of the best of the best.

Roy said...

I sent you a email with a web address that has a slideshow of the Purple Skyline. just in case my email is overlooked here is the web address again. http://web.me.com/zrweddings/Purple/Photos.html
God Bless you and your loved ones.