He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Weekend

This weekend has been tough. I am having a hard time getting going in the mornings. I don't want to get out of bed and my stomach is in knots. Craig is the one that keeps saying lets make this day a good one. So I get up and start the day. This weekend has been super busy so that helps since there is a millions things on the to-do list. So every morning I get moving through the day thinking how am I going to get going when Craig isn't there to get me moving? I can't say there is one thing that really worries me except him simply not being here, period. I have not been without him for more than a week in our 15 years together. I am not sure I remember how to function without him here. I am not sure I even know who I am. I guess some independent people might think that is a bad thing and one day long ago I did too. But when someone as wonderful as Craig makes you a better person for just knowing him let alone getting the privilege of being his wife it is not a bad thing to not know who I might be without him.

So we are taking one day at a time. It seems so surreal and unbelievable that we were handed the news that we did on Tuesday afternoon. There are hours of the day that I would say Dr. Hamm has it all wrong there is no way that Craig has "not a lot of time left." Wednesday we had pictures done (which were a little disappointing) and we got the house ready for Thanksgiving etc etc. He never stopped to rest until the end of the day. Minus the pain meds it all seems very normal. I am haunted by other blogs have said the same things only a couple months before the cancer victim's body surrendered to the disease.
It just seems like there is no way this is actually happening.
But it is... and reality stinks.

Our girls don't really get our reality right now. I have told them that the chemo that he was taking in TN didn't work and he is trying something new on Monday. I have mentioned to Emily there are not a lot of "medicines" out there for this cancer. With the weekend being so busy they haven't really stopped to ask questions. They are pretty use to him not feel well. They say stuff like I hope Dad feels okay so we can play fill-in the blank with whatever crazy thing they have on their agenda. But they do not understand the reality of the situation. We have laid some groundwork talking about heaven in general and people who live there that we know/knew but that is about it. I'm not sure what else to add to it to that will prepare them for what is to come.

Please pray for our family in the upcoming weeks/months/years.

8 comments:

sara said...

Sending lots of love, hope and prayers your way - if I can do ANYTHING, let me know and I'll be there in an instant. Love you all very much, hoping you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I'm thinking of you all constantly. Lots of prayers are being sent your way.

Krissie White

Anonymous said...

You guys are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I have lifted you up in prayer many times and have a circle praying for you. Craig is a wonderful person to work with and if there is anything that I can do to help let me know. I can do some pictures to if you need any. With lots of love sent your way!

April Brannon
Lagrange Branch

Anonymous said...

Michelle,

Your family is in my heart and on my mind all the time. Keep the faith. Love you all very much!

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Craig, you and the girls are in my thoughts and prayers always.

Erin Hahn

Dawn Manco Roy said...

Sending you so many prayers.

Anonymous said...

Michelle, I am praying for you and Craig every day. I have put ya'll in the prayer reqest at church. I completly understand how you are feeling. (with the whole doing it without him around) because I just lost my husband suddenly 6 weeks ago tomorrow. Michelle please call me to talk. Not a lot of people understand what it is like to lose the love of their life, soul mate and best friend, or how to even prepare for it, but I do. Sending the whole family lots of love!

Melinda Briscoe and Family

Rick Blair said...

Craig and Michelle,

I cannot believe these last two posts. I pray for the five of you each day and the boys in homeroom have been keeping you in their prayers. Craig knows that I consider him to be one of the best of the best.

Rick