He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Derby

Derby day is arguably my favorite day of the year; always has been.  It was a great weekend.  I spent the day with my great friends.  My favorite part of the Derby is the playing of My Old Kentucky Home.  Thanks to Insight Cable, the digital picture started to freeze up.  Thankfully, that didn't happen during the race.  This Derby day meant a lot to me.  I've been doing the math for the last 7 months or so during my treatments when I was dreading time and I knew I'd be wrapped up by mid April.  I often prayed I'd make it through the treatments and I'd be able to really enjoy Derby.  I knew it would be bittersweet to enjoy the day with a sense of accomplishment and still hopefully be healthy.  I'm feeling great and am feeling as happy and healthy as I can be.  It's actually a weird feeling because I'm feeling completely normal for the most part and I don't feel like my days are numbered.  There were many times where I didn't know if I'd ever get back to half way normal.  I'm elated to be where I am now; hopefully the shoe won't drop anytime soon.  We are still trying to figure out what to do next but the more we learn, we have come more comfortable with getting my body built back up and not doing treatments for a little bit.  We might try and make it to the first week of June without a treatment.  I am also still eagerly waiting to get more information on some clinical trials.  I can't remember if I wrote about what we are waiting on.  I'm waiting on the doctor down at Vandy to get his panel approved that he wants to do that involves getting a biopsy from me and running tests on it to figure out what type of cell mutation I have.  Pending that test, I can get referred to a clinical trial that is specifically geared for the type of cell mutation.  He was hoping to have that approved in January but there is evidently a lot of bureaucracy in getting these types of things approved.  I'm eagerly anticipating getting that done.  I think that is about all right now.  I hope you had a good Derby as well.
Happy Mother's Day to the moms out there! 
God is good!

2 comments:

Rick Blair said...

Craig,

Good to hear that you are feeling well and that you had a good Derby. The playing of My Old Kentucky Home in Hi Def was outstanding. Hopefully, there will be news soon from Vandy. June 19th is coming soon.

Cheryl said...

I too love Derby and had so much fun spending it with you guys, and not just because I won every race--haha! Thanks for everything, so good to see you!