He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Derby Week: Mini Marathon by Janelle Richardson

Jamie, Chris, Janelle & Scott before the Race


Craig with Jamie & Scott after the race




Chris & Janelle after the race with their medals







When Michelle asked me to be a guest writer after Louisville's Derby Mini Marathon, I thought "what the heck will I write that won't bore you to pieces".  I tend to be long winded when I write and didn't want to make this all about me. BUT the Merimee's have been a major part of my running success.

Last year, 3 months after delivering my 2nd baby girl, my Gastroenterologist found a mass on my colon during a routine colonoscopy.  Luckily, the tumor was only precancerous and a foot of my colon was removed with surgery. After that terrifying cancer scare, I made a vow to myself to start taking better care of my body by eating healthier and exercising.  Months later, I'm sitting in a hospital with one of my best friends after she gets the diagnosis that her husband has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.  You never think these things can happen.  After all we were only 32, in the prime of our lives, married with little kids and considered ourselves pretty healthy.

Let me be clear, I was not a runner.  I didn't even really like exercise.  But I was motivated by Craig's and my story and stepped onto a treadmill even when I could barely run a mile without feeling like I was having a heart attack.  I challenged myself to run 3-4 times a week if I liked it or not.  My husband, Chris, and good friend, Sarah, encouraged me to sign up for all 3 Triple Crown Races plus the dreaded 13.1 mile Mini Marathon.  I joined a running group in the middle of January which committed me and held me accountable.  I got up at 6/6:30am every Saturday to run outdoors with my group, even on days when the wind chill was 8 degrees, there was snow on the ground and no one else from the group showed up except the coach and I.  I ran when my allergies acted up and I felt like poo, I ran when I was tired from being up with a baby throughout the night, I ran on my treadmill when it was raining or sleeting outside and I continued running even when I wanted to give up. 

My training was tough and inconvenient at times.  But my friend was going through a much tougher & inconvenient time in his life.  Why am I complaining???  I have my health.  I'm not hooked up to receive chemo. I'm not fatigued in the same capacity as Craig.  Every time I stepped on that treadmill or sidewalk, I thought of Craig, Michelle & those 3 beautiful girls.  It inspired me to keep fighting.  After all, Craig was fighting.  I realized we were both pushing ourselves, not through a sprint, but a marathon.  I wore my purple band around my wrist on many runs.  When I would feel like I just couldn't climb one more hill or take one more step, I would look down at my wrist and it would be enough motivation to keep me going.  I had lots of time to think while running.  I've probably spent hours thinking about Craig & Michelle, cancer and how their lives have changed.  Many runs, I would get choked up and find myself uncontrollably crying.

A couple months ago, I thought it would be a great idea to create a shirt I could wear during the Mini Marathon to bring more awareness to pancreatic cancer. Around the same time, our friend, Scott, mentioned the same idea to me. So last weekend Chris, Scott, Scott's neighbor Jamie, and I wore our purple shirts to the Mini.  They said, "Think the Mini is hard...Try Cancer.  Pancreatic Cancer Awareness".  You wouldn't believe the attention we received with these shirts.  One women came up to me before the race and told me about someone she knew that had pancreatic cancer.  She thanked me for wearing the shirt.  This is just one example.  All 4 of us received numerous comments from total strangers. I knew people were looking at our backs.  After all, there were 15,000 runners and you spend a good amount of time staring at people's backs while you're  running.  While a very small step in the right direction, maybe we were bringing more awareness to this cancer!

And as I approached mile 7 around Churchill Downs, I felt that feeling I've felt many times before.  I'm tired, I'm hot, I'm thirsty and my legs hurt.  But I knew Craig, Michelle, the girls and our friends, the Deitz's were right outside of the Downs on mile 8 and I must keep running.  And as I saw them cheering me on very enthusiastically, I suddenly felt the energy to keep going.  Yeah, I'm fighting!  I'm going to do this!  I will not stop to walk!  I will cross that finish line! And like angels, they all appeared again, this time yards away from the finish line when I really needed them.  I got a little emotional and my sore legs carried me across that finish line, my arms high in the air. 

Sometimes bad & scary situations help you realize what's really important in your own life.  They help you appreciate what you have, specifically your health.  They help motivate you to do tough things that might improve your health. And they help push you to achieve your own goals.  Life is not a sprint, but a marathon.  Thank you Craig for joining me mentally and emotionally on all my runs.  I credit you for pushing me beyond my wildest dreams from mile 1 to mile 13.1!  I hope to be running to raise money and more awareness for pancreatic cancer one day!  I will not let this cancer go unnoticed!  Keep fighting, Craig!  And I will be with you every mile of the way!

6 comments:

Paulette said...

Janelle, thanks for sharing this wonderful message with your family as well as your friends. It was beautifully written, very inspiring, profoundly moving and brought tears to my eyes. You are the perfect example of what friendship & love really mean and indeed, Michelle & Craig are setting a high standard of faith, determination and resolve to live the best life each minute, each day, each month, each milestone that would serve all of us well to follow. Blessings, love and prayers to all of you. Janelle's Aunt Paulette

A Merimee said...

Janelle, your cover is blown - it was your angel wings that carried you over that finish line!!! Thank you for the inspiration you've given all of us who read about your adventure. Thank you for loving Craig, Michelle and the girls so much.

Jenny Graff said...

Wow, Janelle! Great blog post;) thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on such an accomplishment. I'm sure the journey was hard for you, yet you showed amazing perseverance and kept on truckin'! You're an inspiration to remember how difficult the road you are on may be, you should always keep the faith.

Virginia Schulte said...

Janelle, your story made me so very proud of you. You always were a very special girl and have grown to be a beautiful faith filled woman. What a beautiful friendship you share with Michelle and Craig.
Love,
Virginia

Angel said...

I am so grateful to have read your post, Janelle. your dedication to your friends, Michelle and Craig, to yourself (your health), to your family are so inspiring. you are all a gift to all those who know you; thanks so much for sharing this with us, and congratulations on your first mini!!

hbo1016 said...

Janelle - Somehow I did not see this e-mail originally. I read your post and was just so proud of your dedication to Craig, Michelle and their girls. I read several of Michelle and Craig's posts and just marvel at their faith and dedication to get through this. It just puts so much into perspective. One part of your post that I had heard before was that near the end of the race you felt angels giving you that final push. When I spoke to Yvette after she had finished the race she told me that the last couple of miles she thought she was not going to make it when she felt her recently deceased Grandmother was beside her telling her that she was crazy for doing this, but that she was so proud and was with her to the end. She told me "I know you think I am crazy", and I said "Actually, no, not at all". It is amazing how faith somehow gets us through in the end. Love you and again, I am so proud of you!
Heather (Janelle's cousin)