He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Clinical Trial

Well on my last post, I told you I was 90-10 leaning towards not doing the clinical trial.   If you've learned anything about me, you'd know those stats don't mean anything.  In this case, the 10% won and I'm moving forward with plans to do a clinical trial.  I like it when the small percentage wins.  A bunch of things were considered in making my decision.  One big one is this is my only opportunity to do this trial; I can't start another chemotherapy or I'd become inelgible.  There are also limited trials in driving distance that I would qualify for from here on out.  I also realize that clinical trials are important in medicine.  I may be a guinea pig but hopefully I'll be a successful guinea pig.  In this instance, I'll still have another treatment in my back pocket that I can come back to rather than getting closer to the end of the road options.  I think that's most of the positives.  I guess there's the hope too that this something new could end up being a great breakthrough; that's the hope.  The cons included having to drive to Nashville every week, not knowing if this will work, having more prolonged side effects compared to the treatment I could get here.  The side effects are little up in the air but it appears the worst one is fatigue and it's few days long supposedly.  FYI, fatigue before cancer meant being tired too me.  Now I know it means don't make any plans, you're not getting out of bed and tv annoys the heck out of you so there's no entertainment options while you are laid up. 
The drug is an experimental drug and is currently being tried in many different cancer trials right now.
The trial's official description: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01227018
The trial's official rationale: Hsp90 inhibitor STA-9090 may stop the growth of tumor cells by blocking some of the proteins needed for cell growth. PURPOSE: This phase II trial is studying how well hsp90 inhibitor STA-9090 as second-line therapy works in treating patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer.
What's bad is I know I understand most of the verbaige on this page; I guess I'm in the 1%.  Again, the small percentage wins for me.  The plans are to go down to Nashville next Thursday and do lots of different screenings in the morning (full body CT scan, EKG heart test, blood tests, etc) and assuming I pass, I'll do my first treatment that afternoon.  I'll repeat week 2 and then repeat week 3 and then take week 4 off.  We'll reevaluate and make sure this first month went well and hopefully continue if all is going well.  I basically stay on the trial until either I want out or if my tumors are growing (i.e the treatment is not working).
We'll see where this leads!
Also, cool news.  I got the Oldham County government to approve an official proclamation recognizing November as Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month.  I'll be attending a public meeting on November 1 at the courthouse to accept the proclamation and also give a brief presentation to the county government about PC.  More details to come, it's a public meeting if you are interested in coming.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Luck in Music City! Great news on the proclomation - that is a big step in making the public aware of this monster. I wish for you great success ont his trial, actuallyl, I will pray for it. God Bless you and your family, MK

Mindy said...

Not that my opinion matters, but I know when I'm making unsure decisions I like to hear some validation. I think the thought that this wouldn't be an option if u started the next round of chemotherapy sounds like a no brainer to me. I pray this is God's will and that he will continue to guide your decisions accordingly.

Lavin said...

Craig, this is good to hear - I was hoping you'd be willing to give this clinical trial a try; we'll continue prayers for guidance and for strength during the trial! As always we are here to help - with anything: driving, babysitting, lawn care, etc.

Cheryl said...

I thought of you today, I met a man who is having amazing success on a phase 1 clinical trial for his metastatic colorectal cancer. He looks amazing. Its so exciting to see these things work. I'll try to send you the article that's going to be published about him. I hope everything goes well with the trial, I think its so great you're doing this. Also pretty awesome about Oldham County proclamation!

KentuckyDG17 said...

When we face challenges in life we have a choice to make. We can face them head on or hide from them. Not only have you faced them head on, but you have done everything possible to turn it into something good. One of my favorite songs is "Blessings" with the line, "What if blessings come through tear drops..." I am in awe of you and Michelle. The way you are clinging to God and doing everything you can to further HIS kingdom through this. Thank you for sharing your journey!

Anonymous said...

Tough decision. Consider yourself blessed that you get to make that decision! Another day is another day with your wife and daughters.
This is Kelly Stratman giving two cents which doesn't mean anything considering I'm not the patient. Just thinking of you.