He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Monday, October 24, 2011

246

As Michelle previously posted, I didn't experience any real nausea and fatigue wasn't too bad but I have been experiencing abdominal pain which ranked as about a 7 on the pain scale.  We didn't know why I was having the pain as its not really a normal side effect from a treatment.  I talked to Vandy today and they expressed they were not overly concerned about the pain being something out of the ordinary for my situation as long as I wasn't experiencing other symptoms like a fever or nausea.  They recommended I keep up with my pain meds.  I have been eating normal and not having any other problems so I figured something might be inflamed or something like that.  We really aren't certain what exactly is causing the pain but I asked what my tumor marker was that they pulled last Thursday before my treatment.  My number was 246, up from seventy something.  So that means my tumor and my cancer has become much more active.  The highest reading I ever had was in the mid 300's which was around the time I was diagnosed.  This number goes into the 1000's so my number is still manageable but we are a little concerned it's shooting upwards.  We have to hope this treatment starts to knock it back down.  The pain is most likely being caused by my pancreatic tumor pressing against the nerves in my back.  The pain shoots through my back if I'm late on meds.  I'm still on course to go back down to Nashville on Thursday for another treatment (#17).  This will be the first time I'll be doing a treatment without Michelle.  We're going to let her stay here and keep the family in order.  Jason Breit will be my wingman this week.  I never could let anyone do a treatment with me because of the ugliness but this treatment is a lot more manageable (other than the pain).  I'm not freaking out by any means because of the above news.  It's not reason to.  Reason for concern is valid.  I'm also prepared for any news a doctor can give me.  So that's the update, not much else to say.

Side note, prayers go out to my friend and coworker Melinda Dytrich Briscoe.  She married the love of her life, Jamal Briscoe, about 2 years ago and she recently unexpectedly lost him.  Jamal was 29.  Jamal and Melinda both have a strong faith and that's simply what will get them through this.  Jamal was a very friendly, always smiling, genuine person.  Hang tough Melinda!  You've got our support, prayers and love.

No comments: