He will have no fear of bad news, his heart is steadfast, trusting in the Lord. Psalm 112:7

Monday, March 21, 2011

So how about the weather

I've been looking forward to warm weather for a long time and we're finally getting some.  I'm preparing for my day and plan on getting out.  Lunch with a friend, a haircut, some shopping for shorts that fit, maybe a little driving on the back roads in Oldham County.  The cold weather maked me miserable and now I'm so much happier.  I think I'm going to be crazy and wear sandals today.  Not too much to report other than things are in a forward positive place right now.  I'm probably feeling better than I have ever with my supposed 6 month expiration coming up at the beginning of April.  I've got my first 2nd opinion appointment scheduled tomorrow so we'll see what Dr. Hirandi here in Louisville would suggest.  He's actually a younger doctor but sometimes it's good to hear from younger eager doctors that are passionate on what they are doing and probably not as much worn down dealing with this crap.  I still plan to meet with another doctor here in town at the James Graham Brown facility.  I'm still very much interested in travelling to one of the large cancer centers to get an opinion there.  I only have 2 treatments of this protocol left over, one at the end of the March and one last one on April 12, a day before my Michelle and mine's 9th anniversary.  It feels like such an accomplishment to get through this stage and I can see some light (no not that Light).  However, this treatment is working and I may stay on some form of it.  The treatment I'm on is really limited to about 12 treatments because of it's toxicivity.  One of the drugs in my cocktail really burns your insides and leaves you with the side effect of having tingling feelings in your feet and in your fingers, its evidently a thorough drug.  I have these side effects now but I can get past them.  I'd run the risk of losing majority of feeling in those areas and I'd evidently be tripping over my own feet constantly.  There's also the issue of my white blood cell counts keep going down with each treatment so I can't keep doing that.  One of the options we'll look into is removing that highly toxic drug (oxaliplatin) and just use the other drugs.  The plan on the table from doctor right now is to stop treatments and wait and see what happens with often tests.  This sounds appealing but we're afraid it will scare the heck out of us not doing anything.  We need to get the tumor and liver spots gone and they are on the way down and hopefully out but we are running out of time with this treatment.  I get the feeling things will continue to decrease over the next month but they won't be completely gone leaving me with some things hanging around waiting for a rainy day.  It would be a miracle if it's gone after these next few treatments.  Having the tumor and spots gone is our goal and that will be a good day if that happens.  That definitely buys us time hopefully in years.  The one warning is that I'll never be considered cured and will always be at high risk for it coming back.  We'll continue to pray for some real guidance down here on earth and continue to pray for my miracle.
Tear Jerker of the Week (at least for me):
Emily is not afraid and actually likes to be with me when I see a doctor or a nurse  (she's never been to a chemo treatment).  She was home last Thursday when my Homehealth nurse came out to our house to disconnect my chemo drip.  She was doing fine but when the nurse was done and left, Emily had some tears in her eyes.  Michelle and I comforted her and asked her to talk what was on her mind but she wouldn't talk; she was fine a few minutes later.  The next day, I took Emily with me to the doctor to get my shot for my white blood cells and I asked her again why she was crying yesterday and she just said with a sad cute face, "I just want the rock (my tumor) to be gone." "Me too Em."  There's so much they don't know but I think they know more than we think.

2 comments:

Rick Blair said...

Craig,

Yesterday we played golf at Nevel Meade. i always enjoy the drive from Brownsboro Rd. to the golf course. The winding road with the wills and the babbling stream running along the side is beautiful. Go crazy and wear the sandals.

Matt said...

Craig,

Go for the sandals today. The weather is perfect. You can be as crazy as you want. You know, my friend Desdemona said the cosmic bakers took us out of the oven a little too early, and that is the reason we are as crazy as we are... and I believe her... ;-)

Take care,
Matt Witten